SOCIAL MEDIA PRIVACY STATEMENT
We care about your privacy. This Privacy Statement covers the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal data by Smollan via Social Media Channels used by Smollan, as well as your legal rights in relation to such data.
“Smollan” refers to “Smollan Group of Companies, its affiliates and their respective parent and subsidiary companies and includes all successors and assigns. Any reference to “we”, “us” or “our” means Smollan.
By using these Social Media Channels, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Statement.
The Social Media Channels covered in this notice are as follows:
In compliance with data protection legislations across multiple jurisdictions, including principles of transparency, accountability, and choice regarding the collection and use of your personal data, our Social Media Channels are governed by the policy as stated below.
Social Media Operators
Besides us, there is also the operator of the social media platform itself (the “Platform”). This Platform is a separate entity which processes data, and over which we have very little influence or control. In many areas, however, we cannot influence the data processing by the Platform, and we also do not know exactly which data is being processed by the Platform.
The privacy policies, statements and guidance published by the Platforms apply to your use of Smollan Social Media Channels and we encourage you to read the privacy policies and guidance published on each Platform that you use, as these make important disclosures about how the Platforms separately collect, hold and may use your content and information.
The data entered by you on our Social Media Channels, such as comments, videos, images, likes, public messages, etc., are published by the Platform and are never used or processed by us for any other purpose. We merely reserve the right to delete content, if we deem it necessary. If and where necessary, we will share your content on our website if it is a function of the Platform and communicate with you via the Platform.
The legal basis is for processing your personal data:
The data is processed in the interest of our public relations and communications
Data Processing by Smollan
Under no circumstances should you provide any bank account details or other sensitive personal or financial data when using Smollan Social Media Channels.
You may however choose to provide us with non-sensitive personal data, such as your name and contact details, if you choose to contact us via Smollan Social Media Channels or separately by email or direct message. If you do, we will use your personal data solely to respond to and deal with your comments or queries or for such other purpose for which it is provided. Your data may be held by Smollan and its affiliated companies on a computer database and/or in any other way.
By using Smollan Social Media Channels, entering draws or competitions, availing of discounts and offers (“Promotions”) or posting comments, photographs or other content you understand that your personal data may be used by us for all or any of the following purposes: –
- Content you post to Smollan Social Media Channels may be published (at our discretion) together with the identifying information you provide in connection with the content. We may vary the duration that content will be published, and we have no responsibility to you for the deletion or failure to store any comments or other content posted.
- Content you post to participate in Promotions will be used as appropriate to the conduct of such Promotions.
- Promotion winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity, and we reserve the right to use information relating to Promotion winners, including their names and the contents of their submissions, in any publicity both online and in any other media.
- If you are under 18 years of age and are required to provide details relating to your parent/guardian for Promotion entry or other good reason you confirm that you have obtained permission for the disclosure of their personal data and for Smollan to contact them should this be necessary in connection with your participation in a Promotion.
- If you submit an inquiry to us on a Social Medial Channel, we may, depending on the required response, also refer you to other secure communication channels that guarantee confidentiality. You may always send us confidential inquiries via our address stated in the imprint.
We may also use the Platforms for advertising purposes. In doing so, we also usedemographic, interest-based, behavior-based, or location-based target group definitions for advertising provided by the respective Platform. For more information on data collection and data processing on the Platforms and the protection of your privacy there, see the privacy protection policies of the Platforms listed below. We can influence only to a limited extent, and we cannot disable the statistics that the Platform makes available to us. However, we ensure that no additional optional statistics are provided to us that involve the processing of personal data.
Data Processing by the Platform
The Platforms use web-tracking methods. Web-tracking can be performed regardless of whether you are logged into or registered with the Platform. As already explained, the web-tracking methods of the Platforms are, for the most part, beyond our control. For example, we cannot disable these methods.
Please take note: It cannot be ruled out that the Platforms use your profile and behavioral data, for example, to evaluate your habits, personal relationships, preferences, etc. In this respect, we have no influence over the processing of your data by the Platforms.
For more information on data processing by the Platforms and further options to object, please refer to their respective privacy protection policies:
Your Rights as a User
Depending on your country (or U.S. state) of residence, you may have the right to:
- be informed as to how your data is being used
- request confirmation that we are processing your personal data;
- request a copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- request that we update the personal data we hold about you or correct such data that is inaccurate or incomplete;
- restrict the way in which we use your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal data (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
- object to our processing of your personal data and/or request that we delete it;
- withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal data (where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent);
- request that we delete the personal data we hold about you;
- data portability;
- object to or otherwise obtain clarity relating to how your data is used in relation to automated decision making and profiling; and
- lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal data.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, you can submit a request to the Smollan Information Officer at Milana.Pretorius@Smollan.com. Please note that we may require proof of your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
Where data is collected on the basis of legitimate interests, you have the right to object to the processing at any time for reasons that arise from your particular situation. If the Platform grants an opportunity to do so, we will no longer process the personal data unless there are evidently compelling legitimate grounds for processing that outweigh your interests, rights, and freedoms, or where the data is processed for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims.
We use conversion tracking options for individual Social Media Channels. For this purpose, we have incorporated corresponding pixels or tags in our website in order to collect conversion data.
If you decide to proceed with any communication with Smollan through Smollan Social Media Channels you understand that your personal data may be used by Smollan and its affiliated companies as indicated above. For more information, please read our Privacy Statement.
Data Protection Officer/Information Officer
27 Hathorn Ave, Maryvale, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Phone: +27 11 640 8000
If you wish to object to particular data processing that we can influence, please contact us via the contact information provided. We will then investigate your objection.